The methodology and findings of these studies were critically reviewed and discussed. Because of the small number of studies, meta-analysis was only conducted for studies that used behavioral PM
https://www.selleckchem.com/products/a-1210477.html measures in adults to integrate findings. PM deficits were found to be commonly reported by patients with CHI and their significant others and they could be identified using behavioral measures in adults, children and adolescents with CHI. However, more work is needed to clarify the nature and mechanisms of these deficits. Although some promising results have been reported by studies that evaluated PM treatment, most studies lack tight experimental control and used only a small number of participants. The paper concluded with some suggestions for future research. (C) 2011 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.”
“Purpose: To evaluate results of carotid endarterectomy (CEA) in diabetic patients in a large single-center experience.
Methods: Over a 13-year period ending in December 2008, 4305 consecutive CEAs in 3573 patients were performed. All patients were prospectively enrolled in a dedicated database. Interventions were performed in diabetic patients in 883 cases (20.5%; group 1) and in nondiabetics in the remaining 3422 (79.5%; group 2). Early results in terms of 30-day stroke and death rates were analyzed and compared.
Follow-up results were analyzed with Kaplan-Meier curves and compared with log-rank test.
Results: Diabetic patients were more likely to be females and to have coronary artery disease, peripheral arterial this website disease, hyperlipemia, and arterial hypertension Protein tyrosine phosphatase than nondiabetics. There were no differences between the two groups in terms of preoperative clinical status or degree of carotid stenosis. Interventions were performed under general anesthesia with somatosensory-evoked potentials (SEPs) monitoring in
67% of the patients in both groups, while the remaining interventions were performed under clinical monitoring. Shunt insertion (14% and 11%, respectively) and patch closure rates (79% and 76%, respectively) were similar between the two groups. There were no differences between the two groups in terms of neurological outcomes, while the mortality rate was higher in group 1 than in group 2 (P = .002; odds ratio [OR], 3.5; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.5-8.3); combined 30-day stroke and death rate was significantly higher in group 1 (2%) than in group 2 (0.9%; P = .006; 95% CI, 1.2-3.9; OR, 2.2). At univariate analysis, perioperative risk of stroke and death in diabetic patients was significantly higher in patients undergoing intervention with SEP cerebral monitoring (95% CI, 0.9-39.9; OR, 5.9; P = .01), and this was also confirmed by multivariate analysis (95% CI, 1.1-23.1; OR, 8.